Spacebuild Factions / GlobalRP

philxyz

VIP / Awesome Person
Hi dudes,

I'm thinking of fixing up this old Aliens vs Humans spacebuild gamemode for Gmod 13. Some of you might remember it as Spacebuild Factions, Factions RKS, etc

I'm not sure if it will end up working properly but we'll see how it goes. I've been out of the gmod scene for a little while.

Let me know if there is any interest in this - I used to like this gamemode quite a bit, I'm sure some of the newer players will, too. :cool:

He has returned *bows*

It might be fun to get back into garry's mod and such

Hi PY and Chris :D

Good to be back, thanks for the welcome. What are you guys playing mostly at the moment?

I've fixed up quite a bit of SB factions but there are a few things left (spacebuild 2 related I think) which need minor work to load. I still kind of consider the gamemode to be a bit abandoned and it is a bit messy to do a real fix-up job - what with spacebuild 4 coming soon also - but that said, if I get it playable, I'll let you know.

Great awesome!!

We're playing whatever we want to these days. I personally like playing Battlefield 4 but we're all up for any game that comes along! In fact we're getting kind of bored. So this would be a great thing!

Thanks for working on it :D

Last edited:
That's cool - I understand and thanks for setting it up :p

Check you've got the latest version from github because I've fixed the client material and model downloads.

I still have both SeriousRP and the new GlobalRP map in progress except that due to a change of circumstances I now have (a little) more time to work on them. SeriousRP is actively being worked on (lol, I know) - I wasn't working on it for a long time due to other commitments and contractural reasons with employers.

Last edited:
Well, I am glad that you're back now. I am pretty sure it will turn out great when you're done with it.

Anyways, Got some time finally. Setting up the servers. Sorry it took so long, been ridiculous here lately. I have a bunch of other ones to work on also apparently.

Phil, can you send me your SteamID? I would like to add you on as admin and I seem to have misplaced it long time ago.

Other than that, it's good to go.
Should be up within the next 24 hours on 91.121.43.129:27018.
I put it up in the EU just for you.

Phil, can you send me your SteamID? I would like to add you on as admin and I seem to have misplaced it long time ago.

Other than that, it's good to go.
Should be up within the next 24 hours on 91.121.43.129:27018.
I put it up in the EU just for you.

Awesome! Thanks PY, I'll PM you my steam ID.

I got this back from testers.

1. Spawn greeting can be looped by placing a small object next to spawn and jumping constantly
  2. Rocks don't respawn at end rounds* don't know if this is intentional.
  3. Player spawned transformers don't remove at round end
  4. Alien models are errors, LUA calls for alien_red but the model names follow are (color)vort
  5. After all planets are captured the round wouldn't restart

EDIT: serverpass is pytester

Thanks for the feedback.

Issue 1 is to do with the map. Those sounds appear to be triggered by a logic_case when the player enters a certain zone. Other maps don't have that sound and it is not triggered by lua.

Issue 2 - Rocks respawn by themselves according to a garbage collection system and are not tied to rounds. Normally there will be rocks available somewhere.

Issue 3 - Should be fixed now on dedicated servers.

Issue 4 - was because I hadn't staged the files before committing them to git - oops!

Issue 5 - rounds do restart for me - it takes 30 seconds after capturing the home planet and then it works fine.

Issue 6 - Spacey music fixed (fac_music 0 to disable, 1 to enable again)

Issue 7 - Burning sun on some planets not working (SB2 issue)

Issue 8 - Restored original scoreboard (defect fixed).

Do a git pull to grab the latest version :)

Thanks for the testing!

Do the fonts look right there? There should be a font called middages.ttf - I get an client-side error in my console about the font not being found when I view the in-game scoreboard but everything looks OK in the code. Maybe it works on Windows if someone has that there and can test that. It might be something in gmod itself.

Last edited:
Hey Phil,

thanks for the update. We are trying the new update now. The following are the problems we encountered.

Code:
[COLOR=#FFFFFF][FONT=Lucida Console][ERROR] addons/simple_rp_prop_protection/lua/spropprotection/sv_init.lua:161: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#FFFFFF][FONT=Lucida Console]1. pairs - [C]:-1[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#FFFFFF][FONT=Lucida Console]2. PlayerCanTouch - addons/simple_rp_prop_protection/lua/spropprotection/sv_init.lua:161[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#FFFFFF][FONT=Lucida Console]3. fn - addons/simple_rp_prop_protection/lua/spropprotection/sv_init.lua:220[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#FFFFFF][FONT=Lucida Console]4. unknown - addons/ulib/lua/ulib/shared/hook.lua:183[/FONT][/COLOR]

More may be added as we find more.

Code:
Should disable entity driving

=============================================================
Prop destruction doesn't work on some props (I used a bathtub and washing machine)
[FONT=Lucida Console][SIZE=2][COLOR=#FFFFFF][ERROR] gamemodes/spacebuildfactions/gamemode/server/entdamagesystem.lua:121: attempt to call method 'GetClass' (a nil value)
  1. Call - gamemodes/spacebuildfactions/gamemode/server/entdamagesystem.lua:121
   2. fn - gamemodes/spacebuildfactions/gamemode/server/entdamagesystem.lua:19
    3. unknown - addons/ulib/lua/ulib/shared/hook.lua:183
======================================================================

Aliens are still errors
When disabling fac_music the command has to be changed from stopsounds to stopsound
Trading doesn't seem to work at all. It sometimes says you're trading with someone else and you can't input any amounts.

Had better descriptions but firefox crashed mid post.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Assorted images:
http://imgur.com/a/U6Dh1

Thanks for the feedback - there were a few things I wasn't able to test without other players so it is appreciated!

Also I'm on Linux here so there might be a few bits that come up in the Windows version that I can't see yet.

Those errors have been fixed now, except the pink squares on the menu - I can't figure that one out. It doesn't happen here and all the textures do get sent to the client from what I can see - and the menu looks OK when I join the server. Are there any console messages indicating missing textures?

I strongly recommend the following server addons:

CSS content mounted
CSS Realistic Weapons by Worshipper (enables the purchasing of guns)

Wiremod (interplanetary combat)
PewPew weapons (see above)

Last edited:
Well, thanks for hosting it PY - it's a fun gamemode and would be a shame to see it die.

I like the fact the site still says "Waiting for SeriousRP since 2007" :p - Seriously though, I am actively working on that project now (picked it up again from 2010 when I paused) - and I've got a partial gui, animated question popups, in-game custom organization functionality, locks which work on a key system for organizations and individuals, properly working spreadable fire, a few other things and a large brainstorm diagram with a whole load of (what I think) are awesome ideas to guide me and how to fit them together. This time I won't make the mistake of saying "soon" - it will be done when it is done - some of the features are quite complex - it will be a public script and I'll announce it here first if you're up for playtesting it - I would like one day for this script to compete with DarkRP and provide a base for others to work on (there is almost no DarkRP code remaining at all, I removed most of it and reorganized what little remained). Assuming all goes well, it is only a matter of time.

Last edited:
Back